Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Most Precious Gift

Pin It I spent all day yesterday with my two beautiful little girls. It was one of the best days I've had in a long time. There is no gift more precious or more breath taking than being a parent. I am not having an epiphany, I have thought this for 6+ years but I am revisiting it after being pulled away from my family so much in the last few months.

Recently I stepped in as an interim head coach for our local high school cheer team. Sixteen high school girls + a terminated coach = disaster. What was I thinking, you ask? I said "no" six different times as the principal and superintendent double teamed me by coming to my office and calling non-stop. Finally, I caved.

It was a very learning experience. I learned how disrespectful high school kids can be and how immature some adults can be. I learned how much fun teenagers can be too and how their minds work in mysterious ways! I also learned how much of a time commitment I had just taken on. This team was a former state champion team and used to practicing 3 nights a week for 2 hours each time. Throw games on top of that, I was spending nearly 10-12 hours per week on this extra curricular activity. Have I mentioned that I have a full time job and it often takes up evening hours as well.

On my one free night (Wednesdays) I was so happy to be home, I cannot describe the feeling. One of those evenings I even cried because I was so happy to be home with my family.

So that brings me to the most precious gift of all--motherhood. Time goes by so quickly and I have missed too much in the few months that I have been otherwise committed. It has made me evaluate many areas of my life. I will be saying "no" more often to evening meetings and events. I will take off work once and awhile just to take one of my girls out to lunch. I will cherish this gift every single day.

Until Next Time,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment