Saturday, June 27, 2009

Oh what a run!

Pin It My husband bought me one of those running skirts from Brooks the other day. And, as I'm sure it was meant to do, it inspired me to go for a run today. I thought it would feel weird running in a skirt, but it actually felt GREAT!

I haven't been running in several weeks, so it was a bit of a struggle at first. At mile one (actually just about 20 yards to mile 1) I heard a noise in the grass. I should have kept running, but I had to turn and check it out. It was a big a#! bull snake! I gave a loud explitive and ran on (much faster)!

All in all, it was a pretty good run and now I feel really good (after the moment when I thought I'd die in the 85 degree heat)! I came in and my 5 year old daughter was dressed in running gear to help me "cool down".

My husband is an elite runner. He has compted in the Olympic Trials Marathon in 2004 and again in 2008. He inspired me way back when we were still dating to begin running myself.

I had always been athletic and played volleyball, did cheerleading, and competed in track in high school. I went on to be a college cheerleader and continued to work out mostly in the form of weight training. I thought running was terrible and that 400 meters was long distance!

I met my (now) husband in my junior year. He was a first year teacher in a town nearby. One day I was whining about my slight weight gain. Just to preface things: my husband was 6 feet 1 inch and weighed a whopping 135 pounds, but he could eat an entire pie in one sitting! That would give many girls a complex! So he handed me a sports bra and shorts and said, "let's go". And we did. And miraculously it worked (after the splitting side ache that I got after only 4 minutes stopped). Ever since then, I have been running off an on. I've competed in a couple of small-time 5K races and even decided to organize a race in the town we live in now. It's proven to be a great way to stay in shape -- that is when I find the time to go! Did I mention I have two little girls, one 5 and one 20 months? They keep me BUSY, but they also keep me wanting to be my healthiest in order to set a good example.
Until next time,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment